Skip to main content

Heaven, thy name is gelato

Originally posted at LiveJournal on Jul 14, 2009

Back in Geneva after a long weekend in Rome, and I am afraid to step on a scale.  Italian ice cream is soooo good!  We had it at least once a day, and also tried some Tiramisu.  Our favorite place to buy both was called the House of Tiramisu, and it was only about a ten minute walk from the place we were staying.  You could tell it was a really good place because lots of locals went there, so it wasn`t just some touristy spot.

Around this time of year, Rome is packed--especially, of course, places like the Vatican and the Colosseum.  We got pretty lucky when we visited the Vatican; we were there around 9 in the morning, when the line of people waiting to get into St. Peter`s Basilica was just starting to look a tiny bit intimidating.  An hour later it would have been awful.  We could see the line circling halfway around St. Peter`s Square when we left the Basilica.

Which, by the way, was amazing.  There was organ music playing in the front, which gave the whole church this majestic feel, and there were incredible statues and paintings in which the people looked almost three dimensional.  It`s hard to describe, but it was really impressive.

After the Basilica, we visited the Vatican Museum (I loved the Raphael rooms), which led to the Sistine Chapel.  Truly incredibe.  It was packed in there, and officials kept saying "SHHHH!" loudly, trying to get the crowd to observe silence.  Honestly, the shushing was getting much more annoying than the crowd.

By that time we were starving, so we high tailed it to the nearest restaurant we could find that wasn`t too close to any tourist hot spots (it would have been more expensive there), and had some really good pasta and a bit of tiramisu.  Seriously, I`m afraid to put on the swimsuit I brought.  After lunch, we continued our sightseeing:  the Parthenon, Piazza Navona (LOVED the Four Rivers fountain), and finally the Spanish Steps.  Just next to the Steps, I found the house where John Keats died--it is now called the Keats-Shelley Museum, and contains bits of manuscripts and other things from Keats, Percy and Mary Shelley, and Byron.

That was only the first full day.  The second day we saw the Colosseum, the Roman Forum, Castel di San Angelo, the thermal baths....in other words, there was a LOT of walking.  Which makes me feel a bit better about the gelato :)

Anywho, today was my cousin`s last day off from work, so my brother and I will be checking out the must-see spots in Geneva on our own these next few days.  We plan to see the UN headquarters tomorrow, as well as the Red Cross, and other international organizations.  We`ll be flying back to the States on Saturday.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sexy poetry: Rapunzel, by Anne Sexton

WARNING:  This post is NSFW (Not Safe For Work) Back in 2013-2014, I was a contributor to the  Insatiable Booksluts  blog, which specialized in small-press literature reviews, Reading Rages™, and other fun and snark-tastic book-related business (I never did master Susie’s particularly awesome brand of snark myself).  It’s one of the most fun projects I’ve taken part in, and I’m really going to miss working with Susie, sj, and the rest of the IB team. Unfortunately, the site has since been retired, but I’ve decided, with Susie’s permission, to resurrect some of my posts here and at  Postcards . .  .  .  .  . Originally posted at Insatiable Booksluts on April 9, 2014 One of the first Anne Sexton poems I ever read was “Cinderella,” her adaptation of the Grimms’ tale, during my freshman year of college.  I didn’t know at the time that she’d written sixteen other fairy tale verse adaptations.  But a few weeks ago, while looking for a way to fuse Sex Month, Poetry Month,  and  fairy

What fairy tales teach us about sex

WARNING:  This post is NSFW (Not Safe For Work) Another post resurrected from Insatiable Booksluts , this one a collaboration between Tess Burton of Tesscatiful and myself, a snark-tastic look at the lessons our favorite tales have taught us about sex.  Once upon a hubba hubba! .  .  .  .  . Originally posted at Insatiable Booksluts on April 26, 2014 How are y’all enjoying Sex Month, fellow Booksluts?  Can I get a “Hubba-hubba!”?  Tess and I (Nerija) decided to team up for today’s post, since we’re both into fairy tales.  So without further ado… ~*~*~TESS~*~*~ Long before Disney lovingly bastardized a handful of classic fairy stories, turning them into the PG versions we refer to today, fairy tales were quite literally another story. Dark, weird and intended for adults, these stories were supposed to warn adults of the ‘dangers of life’. Interestingly, people were expected to listen to the stories and decide for themselves what the lesson was. There was no wrong answer,

New favorite song

Originally posted at LiveJournal on Nov 11, 2013 I have a new favorite song. I found these guys while looking for good versions of the  Last Unicorn  theme, since apparently the version from the movie isn't available for Amazon download.  Nor is the complete soundtrack -- unless you want it in German.  For $44.99 used.  Or $176.27 new. This is a very pretty case, though. Well, I remembered I used to love listening to the Kenny Loggins version in the car, from my mom's  Return to Pooh Corner  cassette, so I figured that was good enough.  It really is a lovely version, with just the right mood -- deep and melancholy, but also hopeful, and those few bursts of joy.  And I like the way his tone rises in "when the fu ture  is past," instead of following the usual pattern.  It's a small thing, but for some reason it makes a difference. Anyway, I also saw that there was a "Gregorian" version, and of course I was curious about how that would sound, t